Sweet and Sour Coleslaw
The fresh flavor and crunchy texture of garden vegetables star in this tart colorful coleslaw. Lightly dressed with vinegar and oil, it's a refreshing summer salad. My mom fixed it often when I was growing up...and it continues to be requested often.
— Pat Cole
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery, green pepper
- and onion. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar,
- oil, sugar, salt, pepper and paprika; shake well. Pour over cabbage
- mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 97 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 385 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.