Sweet-and-Sour Chicken Livers Recipe
My children didn't like liver but I knew it was good for them so I decided to hide it by substituting chicken livers in a sweet-and-sour pork recipe. My kids loved it...and they never knew the difference!—Diane Murdock, Charlotte Courthouse, Virginia
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a saucepan, saute chicken livers in oil for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear. Add green peppers, pineapple and salt; saute until peppers are tender. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, broth, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over chicken livers. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 243 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 373 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC