"I HELPED MOTHER shred the cabbage and cut up the apples for this recipe. The touch of tartness is wonderful with the sauerbraten. This is one part of the meal that is even tastier if it can be made ahead."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, combine drippings or oil, brown sugar, vinegar,
- water, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring
- occasionally. Add cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes over
- medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cook, uncovered,
- for about 10 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
If Cooking for Two: Cabbage keeps well when frozen in airtight containers.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 82 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.