"I HELPED MOTHER shred the cabbage and cut up the apples for this recipe. The touch of tartness is wonderful with the sauerbraten. This is one part of the meal that is even tastier if it can be made ahead."
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, combine drippings or oil, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage in Reminisce January/February 1994, p47
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review