- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, combine drippings or oil, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage
"This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. We enjoy it warm, right off the stove or even cold the next day. I'm not a big fan of cabbage but this is WONDERFUL! :)"
"I found this in "The Complete Guide to Country Cooking." I had just made Red Cabbage casserole a couple weeks ago . This one is great!!! I am sending a copy to my daughter-in-law who loves cabbage anything. My husband who usually doesn't like red cabbage likes both. I serve either with lean pork steaks or bone in roasted/broiled chicken breasts. Thank You Barbara White from Cross Plains, WI for this recipe. I love it big time!!!!!!!"