- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, raisins, brown sugar, lemon juice and garlic. Pour half into a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Transfer to slow cooker. Top with remaining tomato mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with tomato mixture. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Brisket in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p50
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet and Sour Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 16, 2016
"Very good! It makes a lot of sauce, so I froze some for future use."