This salad was served daily for years at the famous Griswold’s Inn in Claremont, California before it closed in the late 1990s. My family thinks it’s as good on the holiday table as it is at summer picnics. If you’re cooking for two, don’t shy away from this recipe—the beets keep well and actually taste better the second and third days!
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sliced beets, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a salad bowl, combine the beets, green pepper and onion. In a
- small bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, vinegar and salt until sugar is
- dissolved. Pour over beet mixture and toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 186 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.