Sweet-and-Sour Beef Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- 2. In same skillet, stir-fry peppers and apples in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup green onions; stir-fry 1-3 minutes longer or until peppers are crisp-tender. Remove from pan.
- 3. Add brown sugar and vinegar to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef and pepper mixture to pan; heat through. If desired, serve with rice. Sprinkle with remaining green onion. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice) equals 390 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 656 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.