Sweet-and-Sour Beef with Broccoli Recipe
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and reserved juice until blended; set aside.
- 2. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, stir-fry the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and water chestnuts in oil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the reserved vegetable mixture and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups beef mixture with 3/4 cup rice : 385 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Beef with Broccoli
"Not very flavorful, and did not taste at all like sweet and sour. I do not recomend this recipe."
"Our family loved this dish! It's easy and healthy and the kids enjoyed it. I can't ask for more than that!"
"It was bland and will not try again."
"There are so many flavorful components of this recipe, so it was a surprise to find the taste was unbelievably bland. Not bad but not worth keeping."
"This is a great recipe and easy to make. I used the pineapple juice but didn't add the tidbits and it still tasted great!"
"The ground beef didn't work well. Tried it again with thinly sliced beef round steak. It was much better, but still not as "sweet" as it could be. Might try again, sometime, though."
"The sweet and sour taste just didn't fit quite right with the ground beef. Not a big hit with anyone in my family."