Our Test Kitchen recreated the classic Chinese beef and broccoli dish using a beautiful variety of colorful veggies and inexpensive ground beef. Serve over rice noodles--which you can find in the Asian section of your grocery store--for a change from pasta.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and reserved juice until blended; set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, stir-fry the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and water chestnuts in oil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the reserved vegetable mixture and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Beef with Broccoli in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p44
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Beef with Broccoli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review