Sweet-and-Sour Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, onions, carrots, green pepper, pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar, corn syrup, chili powder, paprika and salt; pour over beef.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with rice if desired.
- 4. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 290 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.