- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, onions, carrots, green pepper, pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar, corn syrup, chili powder, paprika and salt; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with rice if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Beef Stew
"Loved this! Didn't have corn syrup so used honey and date syrup. Also didn't have paprika so just left that out. So good. Will make again with pork or maybe chicken. This is a keeper."
"Made this today & it's delicious! I used 2 lbs. of beef stew meat in order to save time. Also, since I got it started late, I cooked it on high for 3 hrs., then reduced it to low for 3 hrs. Worked great! Cut the chunks large as I thought the veggies got a little too soft. But, that was my fault. Will make often!"
"Just got this into the crockpot for tonight's dinner, so haven't tasted it yet, but I'm sure it's wonderful! My corn syrup was disgusting--must have gotten old, I don't use it often--so I substituted maple syrup (the real stuff, not Aunt Jemima). I also added some celery for extra texture and crunch."
"I loved the flavor with the sweet and sour blend. Yummy!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this meal. Our kids liked it, but not as much as the adults."