Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth, optional
- 2 tablespoons browning sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the water, beef, onion, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, carrot, sugar, vinegar and wine or broth if desired. Stir in the browning sauce, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and oil until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 161 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 578mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup
"Very flavorful. I substituted browned ground beef, worked out great. I did add more cabbage to make it a bit more hearty. I also only used 1/2 cup sugar instead of a whole cup. I am looking forward to the leftovers."
"I followed recipe exactly and could not eat it. ONE CUP of sugar??! It has to be a typo?!"