Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
This soup has been a favorite of mine from a local restaurant for years. The owner said many people have requested the recipe, so I’m happy to share it with you.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth, optional
- 2 tablespoons browning sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the water, beef, onion, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, carrot, sugar, vinegar and wine or broth if desired. Stir in the browning sauce, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and oil until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC