Start your morning exceptionally. This French toast is stuffed with a creamy raspberry filling and savory breakfast sausage and topped with maple syrup. Recipe provided by Jones Sausage
Recommended: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- 1 (5 oz) package Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Links
- 1 (8 oz) container mascarpone cheese
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, divided
- 10 slices French bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed if frozen, plus more for garnish if desired
- Cook sausage according to package directions. When cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat mascarpone cheese and cream cheese, using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Add 1/3 cup raspberry preserves and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat just until combined. Stir in 2 teaspoons basil and sausage.
- Place bread slice flat on work surface; use knife to cut 2-3-inch wide pocket into middle of crust on one side of bread slice. Each pocket should be about 2 inches deep without cutting through to other side. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Spoon cream cheese-sausage mixture into pocket of each bread slice. Place filled bread slices into 13x9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and salt. Pour mixture over filled bread slices in pan, pressing down gently to cover bread with egg mixture. Let soak 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over medium high heat, add maple syrup and remaining 1/2 cup raspberry preserves. Bring to gentle boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; stir in raspberries and remaining 2 teaspoons basil leaves. Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Heat greased large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat. Cook filled bread slices, flipping once, until light golden on both sides.
- Serve with maple-berry syrup. If desired, serve with additional raspberries. Makes 10 slices. Store leftover syrup in airtight container in fridge. Yield: 5 servings
Originally published as Sweet and Savory Stuffed French Toast in Jones Sausage 2016
Reviews for Sweet and Savory Stuffed French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review