Sweet and Savory Brisket
I like this recipe not only because it makes such tender and flavorful beef, but because it takes advantage of a slow cooker. It's wonderful to come home from work and have this mouthwatering dish waiting for you. The beef doubles as a warm sandwich filling, too.Chris Snyder, Boulder, Colorado
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef brisket (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place half of the brisket in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl,
- combine the ketchup, jelly, soup mix and pepper; spread half over
- meat. Top with the remaining meat and ketchup mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Slice
- brisket; serve with cooking juice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 223 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.