Sweet and Savory Brisket Recipe
- 1 beef brisket (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place half of the brisket in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, jelly, soup mix and pepper; spread half over meat. Top with the remaining meat and ketchup mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Slice brisket; serve with cooking juice. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet and Savory Brisket
Sort By :
Absolutely supberb with grass fed/hormone free beef. Was definetley a family favorite and will make it over and over again.
My husband raved about this recipe! The meat turned out incredibly juicy, which for me is a touchstone for a meat recipe. However, I also didn't cook it the full time given in the recipe, but for 5-6 hrs instead. I really wouldn't cook it any more than that. I served it with 2 other TOH recipes, Onion-Roasted Potatoes and Green Bean Bundles, and my husband and son said it was one of the best meals I ever made. We also made sandwiches the next day with the leftovers, and it was still terrific! The only thing I will do differently next time is to emulsify all the sauce ingredients in a blender first, before adding to the meat, so that it will hold better over such a long cooking time.
My family loves this recipe and I have made it for company several times and always recieve a request for the recipe. I have used rump roasts and shoulder roasts with equally good results but prefer the brisket when slicing for sandwiches-when buying select a thick well trimmed brisket for best results-too much fat makes the gravy greasy. Also I only cook for 6-7 hours
I wasn't 100% pleased with the final outcome. 10 hours overcooked it. And this is NOT a cheap piece of meat! Also, the katsup flavor was overpowering. It's an "OK" recipe, but I'd definately use a bbq sauce in place of the katsup and maybe try 8 hours.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Main Dish Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Hanukkah Dinner Recipes >
- Hanukkah Recipes >