- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or egg noodles, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in the water, vinegar and soy sauce. Add the ketchup, onion, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice or noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet and Saucy Chicken
"A tasty,easy dinner, and maybe even better as leftovers"
"This had a good taste but my sauce came out really runny. When I cooked it on the stove it was thick but thinned out during the crock pot cooking process. I followed the recipe as written other then I used boneless chicken breasts."
"When the chicken is done, it's so tender it just falls off the bone!"
"This was awesome. My husband and I ate this delicious chicken until we were stuffed! Only made two changes. I did not have any white vinegar, so I used regular apple cider vinegar and since we do not eat dark meat, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and wings. Also, the sauce was absolutely delicious over the rice."
"This is a very tasty dish to come home to after a long days work. Very tasty, and hearty when served over rice. However I will switch to boneless pieces next time."