Sweet and Saucy Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or egg noodles, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in the water, vinegar and soy sauce. Add the ketchup, onion, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice or noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet and Saucy Chicken(17)
Sort By :
I used boneless chicken thighs. I found it to be almost too sweet, but that could have been from using dark brown sugar. If I make it again, I'll try it with light brown sugar. It was very easy to make. I layered the chicken with the sauce and served it over noodles.
Made this for my family and they loved it. I used boneless thighs instead of a whole chicken and it was wonderful. Served it over rice. The sauce was perfect. This is a keeper.
This is a very delicious meal. The chicken just falls off the bones it is so tender and moist. The sauce accents rice perfectly. It is one that I will make again and again! I did double the sauce so that I would have extra for the rice and because I did not have white vinegar I used apple cider vinegar instead but it was still wonderful.
I used thighs and they were yummy!!!!!!!!!
This was some of the best chicken I've ever cooked. I'm not usually a big fan of chicken because I find it to be dry but I thought this might be a recipe my husband would like so I gave it a chance. I'll be making it often. The chicken fell off the bone and was so tender. And the sauce is delicious! I was a little concerned because I have to use gluten-free flour blends so I wasn't sure it would thicken it enough. It definitely did and served over gluten-free egg noodles...YUM! My husband in on his third helping as I type this.
More Recipe Collections
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice >