Sweet and Saucy Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or egg noodles, optional
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in the water, vinegar and soy sauce. Add the ketchup, onion, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice or noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet and Saucy Chicken(9)
Sort By :
I made this last night and everyone LOVED it! My kids usually put ranch on everything and they didn't with this. It was delicious! This is definitely a keeper! Thanks for the amazing recipe!
It's a great meal, but a major mess to cleaning out my crock pot. Needless to say we enjoyed it over my homemade fried rice and it was a hit.
Loved this recipe! So yummy! Will definitely be making this again! Lots of extra sauce to put over rice.
Don't know what I did wrong. I followed directions except used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but my sauce turned out as thin as water -- not at all like the picture. When I boiled it it thickened up like the recipe said, but after sitting in the crockpot with the chicken it was like water. Other than that, the sauce tasted good and chicken was tender. I will use the recipe again because I like the ease of using a crockpot. Would welcome any comments/ideas regarding how to get the sauce to look like the picture. Was everyone else's thin also? Thanks.
My husband doesn't like bone-in chicken, so I used 6 breast cutlets. Very good. I increased the soy to 1/2 cup and used 1 tsp onion powder instead of dried minced onion. I served it over orzo. Other than that, I didn't change a thing. I'll definitely be making this again.
More Recipe Collections
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice >