Sweet and Salty Popcorn
For a big crunch that kids will love, try this munchable snack mix from Shirley Engstrom of Genoa, Nebraska. A light sweet coating makes this combination of popcorn, crispy cereal and salty peanuts hard to resist.
28 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 4 cups Corn or Rice Chex
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large greased roasting pan, combine the popcorn, cereal and
- peanuts. In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and
- butter; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 6 minutes, stirring
- Remove from the heat; quickly stir in vanilla and baking soda until
- mixture is light and foamy. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture;
- mix well. Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15
- minutes. Cool completely. Yield: about 5-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.