Sweet 'n' Zesty Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (2.4 ounces) tomato-basil soup mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken with onion in oil on both sides. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, combine the water, soup mix, brown sugar and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Return chicken and onion to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve over couscous if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without couscous) equals 452 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 825 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.