Sweet 'n' Tender Cabbage Rolls Recipe
I've used this recipe for more than 30 years, and the extra time it takes to assemble the rolls is well worth the effort. I always make two batches because they go so fast. You can assemble the night before and cook the next day.—Sonja Benz, Carmel, Indiana
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 14 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, rice, mushrooms, onion and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Place about 1/2 cup on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends and fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 3. Place seven rolls, seam side down, in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine sauce ingredients; pour half over cabbage rolls. Top with remaining rolls and sauce. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 7 servings.
2 cabbage rolls equals 389 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 1,243 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC