I fixed this roast the first time I cooked for my husband-to-be more than 20 years ago. For dessert, I made chocolate pudding spooned over marshmallow. He thought he'd died and gone to heaven! —Carol Mulligan, Honeoye Falls, New York
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut meat in half and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the water, ketchup, wine or broth, gravy mix, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Remove meat from slow cooker. Slice and serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Tangy Pot Roast in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p31
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Tangy Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review