- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut meat in half and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the water, ketchup, wine or broth, gravy mix, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Remove meat from slow cooker. Slice and serve with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Tangy Pot Roast
Sort By :
"The flavor was very good and the family enjoyed it."
"Just amazing although to get the right amount of time in for cooking I usually cook it for a few hours the day before, refrigerate it and then finish up the following day. I like to add some microwaved potatoes and carrots. Soooo good over egg noodles!"
"This was pretty good. At first when I tasted the pot roast, I didnt think much of it. But with the sauce it was really good! I'll prob. make this occasionally but still prefer my tradition New England pot roast :)"
"Very good! made it w/ red wine, added mushrooms and it turned out delicious. The gravy was a lot thicker than pictured."
"I started this dish 6:00 this morning and the smell in the house is great. I can't wait to taste the whole thing. The gravy taste sooo good with the Garlic mash potates( just a lil test try)lol and colorful veggie.Thanks I'm keeping it"