- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and garlic; top with chicken. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, lemon juice, basil, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Tangy Chicken
"Delicious! This chicken was done in 3.5 hours in my 3 qt crockpot. I made a couple of changes, I cut the chili powder amount in half and doubled the lemon juice. I didn't thicken the sauce, we just ate it straight out of the crockpot."
"Cooked mine for 4 1/2 hours--came out great! I used 1/3 cup of coarsely chopped onion--next time I will use fine chopped onion because my family didn't like the "detectable" pieces of onion--they are not big onion fans. This makes about double the amount of sauce that is needed, so you could probably increase the amount of chicken for company. The amount in the recipe fed four adults with a couple pieces left over."
"Amazing flavor and very tender chicken! Used all chicken legs in mine. Next time will try boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cook on low 4 - 4/12 hrs."
"Really enjoyed this, but not sure it was tangy. Maybe next time I'll add more lemon juice as another reviewer suggested."
"did not adjust anything ! ..cannot wait to make it..thnx Joan Airey :)"