- 3 pounds chicken wingettes (about 30)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Sprinkle chicken wings with a dash of salt and pepper. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, liquid smoke if desired and remaining salt; pour over wings. Toss to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled fully-cooked wings in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat wings in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan in a preheated 325° oven until heated through, covering if necessary to prevent browning. Serve as directed. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Tangy Chicken Wings
Sort By :
"The sauce was very tasty, but I was disappointed that it didn't thicken up well at all. I used drumsticks since they were cheaper and there's more meat on them. I should have removed the skin from these because they got a little slimy. Taste was awesome though!"
"They were very good. I used the suggested method of broiling for 10 minutes on each side and removing extra grease with paper towels. The sauce was not soupy or greasy."
"Literally tasted like ketchup wings. Yuck!"
"Saw many posts that the sauce was to Ketchupy so I substituted 1/2 cup chilli sauce for 1/2 cup of the ketchup. I also added an extra Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I also broild my wings about 15 minutes making them somewhat crispy. Itasted the sauce as I was making it tasted very Yummy to me."
"This was a hit! I made them for a neighborhood gathering and they were gone in a flash. The meat was tender and the sauce was perfect!"