Sweet 'n' Tangy Chicken Wings Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken wingettes (about 30)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Sesame seeds, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with a dash of salt and pepper. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, liquid smoke if desired and remaining salt; pour over wings. Toss to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled fully-cooked wings in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat wings in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan in a preheated 325° oven until heated through, covering if necessary to prevent browning. Serve as directed. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 chicken wing equals 116 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer