Sweet 'n' Tangy Chicken Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and garlic; top with chicken. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, lemon juice, basil, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Tangy Chicken
Sort By :
Amazing flavor and very tender chicken! Used all chicken legs in mine. Next time will try boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cook on low 4 - 4/12 hrs.
Really enjoyed this, but not sure it was tangy. Maybe next time I'll add more lemon juice as another reviewer suggested.
did not adjust anything ! ..cannot wait to make it..thnx Joan Airey :)
I made a few changes in this recipe. I first microwaved the onions and garlic on medium for 5 minutes. I used boneless skinless breast for the chicken. For chili powder, I used chipotle. I didn't think 1 tbsp. lemon juice would give enough tang, especially since I was using Meyer juice. I increased it to 6 tbsp. If using regular lemons, I would try using 3 tbsp.
The result was a nice tangy flavor which complimented the chipotle powder nicely.
I loved this recipe! Minor changes I made: only had 1/2 tsp. left of chili powder plus omitted salt and hot pepper sauce. I have some sauce left over so will use it tonight over rice with dinner. I will make this again often!