Sweet 'n' Tangy Carrots
I dress up carrots with a brown sugar and mustard sauce as a side dish for my New Year’s meal. Garnished with a little bright green parsley, the carrots add color to the dinner plate.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place 1 in. of water, carrots and salt in a large saucepan; bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- tender. Drain.
- Return carrots to pan; add the brown sugar, butter, mustard and
- pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until well coated. Sprinkle with
- parsley. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 143 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.