Sweet 'N' Tangy Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, cook onion and jalapeno in oil over medium heat until tender and lightly browned. Add the next 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in liquid smoke if desired. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 56 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.