Dorothy Ross of Jackson, Ohio relates, "I owned a pizza shop for 10 years and developed this popular sauce to serve with a stromboli steak sandwich. Everyone loved it. It's also delicious on chicken and pork chops."
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper blend
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the flavors are blended. Remove from the heat; cool. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Spicy BBQ Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p12
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Spicy BBQ Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review