Sweet 'N' Sour Turkey Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups julienned cooked turkey
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and brown sugar. Stir in the broth, soy sauce and lemon juice until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry the celery, carrots and onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir broth mixture; gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the turkey, pineapple and almonds; heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One 1-1/3-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth, reduced-sodium soy sauce and reduced-fat margarine; calculated without rice) equals 327 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer