Sweet 'n' Sour Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 250 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 2 fruit.