A sweet sauce and merry Christmas colors make this fruit-and-sausage combo a trusted holiday crowd-pleaser. Hearty enough to serve for brunch, it always disappears in a twinkling!
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set the pineapple and juice aside. In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, salt, maple syrup, water, vinegar and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Cut each link into thirds. Add the sausage, cherries and reserved pineapple to saucepan; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'N' Sour Sausage in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p31
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Sausage Appetizer
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review