Sweet 'N' Sour Sausage
A sweet sauce and merry Christmas colors make this fruit-and-sausage combo a trusted holiday crowd-pleaser. Hearty enough to serve for brunch, it always disappears in a twinkling!
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set the pineapple and juice aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, salt, maple syrup,
- water, vinegar and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the green
- pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Cut
- each link into thirds. Add the sausage, cherries and reserved
- pineapple to saucepan; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.