Carrots, green pepper and pineapple lend gorgeous color to this slow-cooked sausage supper from Barbara Schutz of Pandora, Ohio. "Serve this combination stir-fry style over rice or chow mein noodles," she suggests.
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Sausage in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p36
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review