Sweet 'n' Sour Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- 1. Combine garlic salt, mustard and pepper; rub over entire roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Combine the water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, celery seed and ginger; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove roast from pan and keep warm. pour pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving drippings. Add enough water, if needed, to measure 5 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy and brown rice if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 each: 258 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Pot Roast
"I have been making this recipe for over 10 years now, and as a professional cook, I just have to say that it is absolutely the best pot roast recipe I have ever prepared. People have asked for the recipe over and over again. Up until discovering this recipe in Taste of Home, I was always reluctant to fix pot roast; it's a tricky meat to work with. Try it, you couldn't possibly be disappointed!"
"huge disappointment. Wasnt any sweet n sour that I could determine. What a waste of a pot roast."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.