Sweet 'n' Sour Polish Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the sausage, onion, green pepper and celery in butter over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and salt. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add juice to skillet; bring to a boil. Return sausage mixture to pan. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 501 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 1,439 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer