Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to juice to measure 1 cup. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs. Add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Stir in green pepper and pineapple; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 264 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs
"Loved this! We used a red pepper in place of the green pepper, but no other changes. I will definitely be making this again!"
"This is a keeper!"
"I've been making this recipe for quite a few years, and my husband and I always enjoy it. The flavors combine nicely, and the ginger adds a little kick to the well-seasoned meatballs."
"This was great. Next time I think I'll add more salt to the meatball mixture."
"This was a VERY yummy Sweet 'n' Sour. I did not use seasoned bread crumbs - I substituted quick-cooking oats and then added some onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. I also used red pepper instead of green because I didn't have any green peppers in the house at the time. Otherwise, I made the recipe just as printed. I will definitely make this again."
"This was a hit at my house!! Had some problem with combing the first 5 ingredients, I don't feel like it seasoned all the meatballs, however it was tasty."