Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to juice to measure 1 cup. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs. Add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Stir in green pepper and pineapple; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 264 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs
"I thought this was pretty good, but definitely needed more sauce. The meatballs had a good flavor to them. I baked the meatballs first (like I always do), then put them in a frying pan. The carrots took FOREVER to cook. I think for me they took about 12 minutes. Time is right for the green pepper. My sauce also didn't thicken up much at all. Overall a good recipe, but needs some tweaks."
"Loved it, added red bell pepper, sliced green onion"
"Although I only made the sauce, it was delicious. I did add garlic powder to the sauce and sauteed dried hot peppers before adding the vegetables. I used premade chicken with pineapple meatballs."
"Loved this! We used a red pepper in place of the green pepper, but no other changes. I will definitely be making this again!"
"This is a keeper!"
"I've been making this recipe for quite a few years, and my husband and I always enjoy it. The flavors combine nicely, and the ginger adds a little kick to the well-seasoned meatballs."
"This was great. Next time I think I'll add more salt to the meatball mixture."
"This was a VERY yummy Sweet 'n' Sour. I did not use seasoned bread crumbs - I substituted quick-cooking oats and then added some onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. I also used red pepper instead of green because I didn't have any green peppers in the house at the time. Otherwise, I made the recipe just as printed. I will definitely make this again."
"This was a hit at my house!! Had some problem with combing the first 5 ingredients, I don't feel like it seasoned all the meatballs, however it was tasty."