Andrea Busch writes from Brackenridge, Pennsylvania, "My husband isn't a big fan of stir-fries, but I never have leftovers when I serve this delicious one-dish meal.”
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to juice to measure 1/2 cup. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs. Add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Stir in green pepper and pineapple; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p39
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review