Sweet 'n' Sour Cashew Pork Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas (3 cups)
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and sherry until smooth; add pork and toss to coat. In another bowl, combine sugar and remaining cornstarch. Stir in the water, vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry pork in hot oil until no longer pink. Add the cashews, onions, ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peas and pineapple; stir-fry 3 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup pork mixture (calculated without rice) equals 371 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.