"This bean dish is surprisingly low in fat, even with the bacon in it. I adapted it from a higher-calorie version that used ground beef," offers Carla Specht from Annawan, Illinios. "This is great served as a side dish with grilled meats...or over rice as a main dish."
Recommended: 15 Southern Thanksgiving Recipes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the brown sugar, cider vinegar, garlic powder and mustard; bring to a boil. Stir in onions. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until onions are tender. Add the beans and bacon.
- Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Beans in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p19
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review