"This bean dish is surprisingly low in fat, even with the bacon in it. I adapted it from a higher-calorie version that used ground beef," offers Carla Specht from Annawan, Illinios. "This is great served as a side dish with grilled meats...or over rice as a main dish."
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the brown sugar, cider vinegar, garlic powder and mustard; bring to a boil. Stir in onions. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until onions are tender. Add the beans and bacon.
- Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Beans in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p19
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Sour Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 12, 2009
"This recipe is not vegetarian. It's easy enough to make vegetarian though."
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2008
"bacon is not vegetarian"