- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, rosemary and sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 2 pork baby back ribs (about 5 pounds)
- 2 cups soaked wood chips (mequite, hickory or alder), optional
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, marjoram and rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh dill, sage and cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, bouillon, seasonings and herbs; rub over ribs. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Add 1 cup of soaked wood chips if desired. Place ribs in a disposable foil pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 30 minutes. Remove ribs from pan and place on grill rack over drip pan. Add remaining wood chips. Grill 30 minutes longer, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and herbs; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Baste ribs with sauce; grill for 10-15 minutes or until meat is tender, turning and basting occasionally. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forSweet 'n' Smoky Kansas City Ribs
"I haven't tried this one yet. But just reading it makes my mouth water. I already know this will become a favorite! Great recipe, thank you!"
"These were good. I found they weren't as tender as other recipes are seasoned for 24hrs, parboiled, or slow roasted prior to grilling. Next time I may alter and use one of those methods. Sauce was wonderful. I used dry herbs rather than fresh."
"This recipe is absolutely AMAZING!! We love it. The barbeque just gives it that 'smokin' flavor. I heartily recommend it!!"