Sweet 'n' Savory Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup tropical medley dried fruit mix
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the apple, celery, onion, parsley, green onions and celery leaves in butter until tender. Add the fruit mix, cranberries, pecans, poultry seasoning, salt, sage and pepper. Stir in the broth, water and stuffing. Toss to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 671 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.