Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup ginger ale
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 French roll, split
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ginger ale, chili sauce, preserves and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Place roll halves, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet; top with sausage mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 open-faced sandwich (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 461 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 1,859 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.