Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup ginger ale
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 French roll, split
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ginger ale, chili sauce, preserves and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Place roll halves, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet; top with sausage mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 461 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1859mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches
"While going thru my old stash of food magazines, I came across this recipe again and decided to try it even though I didn't have any Italian sausage on hand. I used baked homemade meatballs instead, cutting them in half before putting them on the rolls. The ginger ale-chili sauce-apricot preserves-onion soup mix sauce was just as tasty as I thought it'd be. My husband really loved it and said it'd make a great game day treat. This recipe is a keeper and I'll make it with the sausage next time."
"easy and tasty! A good mix of flavors and very filling! Got a thumbs-up from my husband!"