Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup ginger ale
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 French roll, split
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ginger ale, chili sauce, preserves and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Place roll halves, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet; top with sausage mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches(2)
Sort By :
While going thru my old stash of food magazines, I came across this recipe again and decided to try it even though I didn't have any Italian sausage on hand. I used baked homemade meatballs instead, cutting them in half before putting them on the rolls. The ginger ale-chili sauce-apricot preserves-onion soup mix sauce was just as tasty as I thought it'd be. My husband really loved it and said it'd make a great game day treat. This recipe is a keeper and I'll make it with the sausage next time.
Easy and tasty! A good mix of flavors and very filling! Got a thumbs-up from my husband!