Sweet 'n' Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
My grandmother taught me how to make the dressing for this coleslaw when I was very young. It's not too tart and not too sweet. Sometimes I make 8 gallon jars a week at the restaurant where I work! It gets lots of compliments. -Denise Elder, Hanover, Ontario
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 medium heads cabbage (6 to 7 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 7 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in vinegar and water. Add egg and milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cream. Stir in mayonnaise. Add cooked dressing; mix well. In several large bowls, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery and green onions. Add dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 32 (3/4-cup) servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 158 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC