My grandmother taught me how to make the dressing for this coleslaw when I was very young. It's not too tart and not too sweet. Sometimes I make 8 gallon jars a week at the restaurant where I work! It gets lots of compliments. -Denise Elder, Hanover, Ontario
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 medium heads cabbage (6 to 7 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 7 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in vinegar and water. Add egg and milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cream. Stir in mayonnaise. Add cooked dressing; mix well. In several large bowls, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery and green onions. Add dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 32 (3/4-cup) servings.
Originally published as Sweet N Creamy Coleslaw in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p39
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Creamy Coleslaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 4, 2015
"Delicious! It makes an enormous amount of coleslaw and it would be helpful to have a reduced version."
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2010
"For our taste it needed just a little more salt."
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2008
"Does anyone have a reduced version of this recipe? It's just myself & my DHCA_girl"