I threw some always-available condiments into my slow cooker with a pork roast to create this fantastic pulled pork. It has become a staple sandwich filler for large get-togethers. Serve with rolls, on top of toasted crostini, or as a filling for empanadas. The flavor of the pork goes well with a cold glass of white wine.—Lori Terry, Chicago, Illinois
- 2 medium onions, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 10 kaiser or onion rolls, split
- Place onions in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place over onions.
- In a small bowl, mix broth, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, molasses, garlic and mustard; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a small bowl, toss coleslaw mix with lime juice. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls with coleslaw. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p63
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review