Sweet & Spicy Beans Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Chopped green onions, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Top with green onions if desired. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews for Sweet & Spicy Beans(5)
Sort By :
Easy recipe to make in the morning and come home too. Had a nice kick of spicy to go along with the sweet. Not a dish I would love to have over and over again, but definitely a good dish to make, especially in cold weather.
Love this recipe, have made it three times, each a little different and can't screw it up. Used Amy's Southwest Medium hot Chili and that was to spicy for my Wife. Tried a can of refrieds instead of chili and she liked that better. Tried using a hot BBQ sauce and molasses (instead of brown sugar), this batch I dehydrated two portions with brown rice and took on a backpacking trip last week and the beans came back fine and I had a delicious lunch. - Mesa AZ
This was so easy and has a flavorful zip and sweet. I did not use this as a side dish, but served as the entrée with cornbread and a side salad. Live in Phoenix and made on a day when it was 108 and cannot wait to serve on a cooler day for a football game day.
I would rate these beans at 3.5 stars. It was super easy to throw together. I used the vegetarian version of chili with beans. They weren't my favorite baked beans; however, it was nice having such a stress free side dish.
It's the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. My entire family loved it! Enjoyed the rest for lunch today.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beans >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Corn Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potluck Recipes >