- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Chopped green onions, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Top with green onions if desired. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews for Sweet & Spicy Beans
"I made this for a family work party. It was a hit. Even my kids loved it. The flavor depends a lot on the BBC sauce, which I make my own. I have made this several times since. A very nice side dish. Not overly sweet. Taste really good hot it cold."
"Made this for a potluck. Very tasty. I would make this again for a crowd. I think kids will like the sweetness (but it's not overly sweet)."
"Made this for a side dish at a family gathering. The dish went over well. Hubby loved it. Made 1 small change with the addition of a bit of crumbled cooked bacon because, well, everything is better with bacon!"
"Easy recipe to make in the morning and come home too. Had a nice kick of spicy to go along with the sweet. Not a dish I would love to have over and over again, but definitely a good dish to make, especially in cold weather."
"Love this recipe, have made it three times, each a little different and can't screw it up. Used Amy's Southwest Medium hot Chili and that was to spicy for my Wife. Tried a can of refrieds instead of chili and she liked that better. Tried using a hot BBQ sauce and molasses (instead of brown sugar), this batch I dehydrated two portions with brown rice and took on a backpacking trip last week and the beans came back fine and I had a delicious lunch. - Mesa AZ"
"This was so easy and has a flavorful zip and sweet. I did not use this as a side dish, but served as the entrée with cornbread and a side salad. Live in Phoenix and made on a day when it was 108 and cannot wait to serve on a cooler day for a football game day."
"It's the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. My entire family loved it! Enjoyed the rest for lunch today."