Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 3. Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
2 tablespoons: 68 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 0g protein .
Reviews for Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce
"If you like a little heat in your barbecue sauce, you'll enjoy this recipe. I used only 1 teaspoon of chili powder when I made it and skipped the straining step. This would be good on beef, chicken, or pork."
"This sounds great because there is no extra sugar added and I use Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup."
"I make this sauce to put on my Guinness Baby back Ribs. It is Great!!!"